Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Master Bedroom Curtains—Adding Grommets

As always, I have so many projects I want to post about.  I thought this week I would focus my posts on some of the window treatments that I bought, made, and did major reconstructive surgery on.

We’ll start today in our Master Bedroom.

Our master bedroom has two enormous windows that let in a TON of sunlight (that is when the sun actually shines here in the northwest!).

This picture is right after we bought the house and were just starting renovations and painting.  This room needed a bunch of dry wall repair (after we took off all the shelving and other things that had been left attached to the walls), new window blinds, a new light fixture and a whole lot of paint.  I will give you all the before and after details in another post—today we are just going to talk about the curtains.

IMG_1382

First of all—I just want to tell you that I bought 12 different sets of curtains that were eventually returned because they were either the wrong color (they didn’t match with our bedding), or they were not room darkening enough (we were waking up when the sun came up at 4 or 5 in the morning!) before we finally settled on these:

Eclipse Samara Blackout Energy-Efficient Curtain from Walmart

Eclipse Samara Blackout Energy-Efficient Curtain

My hubby and I are really happy with the quality and the price of these curtains ($9.77/panel!!!)  However, I was not in love with the rod pocket look—as I wanted to open and close them on a daily basis, and rod pockets can be awkward to open an close often. 

So I tried using curtain clips to hang them from the rod.  I obviously hadn’t ironed them yet when these pictures were taken.

IMG_1741

IMG_1742

I just wasn’t in love with this option either.  I had really wanted a curtain with grommets.  So I decided to see about adding my own grommets.

I found these DIY grommets at Joanns:

Dritz Curtain Grommets 1 9/16" Inner Diameter 8/Pkg Pewter 443-68

But they were $12.99 for 1 pack for the size that I needed.  And I needed 3 packs!  That would make double the price of these curtains!!!

I was bummed and had resigned myself to the fact that I would just have to live with them as is—until I saw that in Walmart’s Fabric section—they had these black plasitcy looking grommets for $5.99!

IMG_1737

I didn’t want the cheap black plastic looking grommets—but I knew that I could fix them with my favorite spray paint that is made for plastic!

I have used this exact spray paint for more projects than I can count.  Here and here are just a couple of examples.

So the grommets come apart into two pieces—the front and the back.  Here all the fronts and backs got a makeover.

IMG_1738

Next I used the template that comes with the grommets, and carefully measured and traced out where I wanted the grommets to go.

Then I simply just cut around my tracing lines.  Then I put the back grommet on the back of my fabric, and the front grommet on the front.  And then I pressed the pieces together and they snapped into place.  All my cut edges are neatly and securely encased inside of the grommets. 

IMG_1739

Then I just repeat those steps 24 more times until all of my panels were done!

Then I gave them all a good pressing and hung them up.

IMG_1752

Now they open and close easily and they look amazing.  And this spray paint is tough as nails.  Its not going anywhere.  We have been opening and closing them every day for months and I have yet to see any signs of wear. 

IMG_1750

AND thanks to the miracles and wonders of SPRAY PAINT--this little transformation only cost me and additional $18 for the grommets instead of $40!

IMG_1751

And that makes me happy.

26 comments:

  1. I love how your curtains turned out! And I am so impressed with your thriftyness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My little kids also have a wide window in their bedrooms, and it allows for natural lighting during the morning as they play in their playpen. I think this would make for a nice window treatment, since it is much easier to do than other window curtain styles and it looks delightful. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Curtains give privacy and keep the disturbance, due to unwanted things, out of the room. Bedroom curtains also act as sound proofers and insulators in the room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post!! Thank you so much. I have been searching and searching for grommet room darkening curtains for months and have run into the same problem with the colors or texture not matching - OR the curtains cost $50 a panel! You made the instructions so easy that I think even I can do it -- I'm not real crafty :) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always loved the look of panels with grommets, but it wasn't until I started using them that I realized how EASY it is to slide them back and forth. Thankfully, I found your blog post before I went on a shopping spree for new curtains. I modified all the panels in our house from rod pockets to grommets and I LOVE THEM!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - super impressive! Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good work! Your post is an excellent example of why I keep coming back to read your excellent quality content that is forever updated.
    Curtains

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your work article, blogs I mean over all contents is must read stuff.
    tie backs for drapes

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! That was an ingenious way to improve your curtains, Sharon! It certainly looks like one of those expensive curtains you see at a fancy restaurant. Curtains help a homeowner improve privacy and regulate the amount of exterior light to penetrate their room. Thanks for sharing this project of yours, and I hope you make more ingenious solutions in the future.

    Roxie Tenner @ Window Treatments Philadelphia

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how your finished twisted out! And I am so impressed with your thriftyness! Kitchen Backsplash Ideas

    ReplyDelete
  11. so no sewing is required? the grommets actually snap closed with fabric inside of them? Am I missing something? It just sounds too easy.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a clever idea to spray paint the grommets! My sister in law has been complaining about the decor of her master bedroom for a while and I'd imagine doing something similar with her drapes would change the space immensely! If she knew how inexpensive it could be to do, I'm sure she would be very interested! http://www.sylvansdrapesandblinds.com/drapery.nxg

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eclipse Samara Blackout Energy-Efficient Curtain from Walmart. Eclipse Samara ... bblackoutcurtains.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well done! They look quite professional!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Smart.. Simple.. Effective..HomeAccessoriesList with products review.Your home is everything. It’s your place of rest and growth, your shelter and your launching pad. It’s where you gather to host and entertain and where you come to get away from it all homeaccessorieslist.com is a product review site for Home ,Kitchen & bathroom accessorieslist.Where you can find all the basic accessorieslist for home with every product review. We analyze all the reviews so you can choose products you'll love. On this site you will find real-life experiences and opinions voiced by all over the world. Our mission is to report the truth about what experts and users are saying after use the single product. http://www.homeaccessorieslist.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was working and suddenly I visits your site frequently and recommended it to me to read also. The writing style is superior and the content is relevant. Thanks for the insight you provide the readers!
    Signature:
    happy wheels
    friv
    girlsgogames
    games2girls
    happy wheels

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing such a nice article. It is really useful to me and all people. One think in my mind came while reading that it is not wasting of time.
    fireboy and watergirl
    Geometry Dash

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am in fact grateful to the owner of this web site who has shared this great paragraph at here.
    Grey Curtains

    ReplyDelete
  19. An author must have a vast knowledge of vocabulary. The dictionary of a writer must be full of new english vocabulary to make their work more attractive. Use of new words makes their work more valuable and graceful. blackout curtains

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just what I needed to know! I tend to pick up stuff on sale that I have big plans for, but by the time I get around to doing the project, some of my ideas have changed. I bought plastic grommets similar to the first ones you mentioned, but got them half price, so considered them a great deal. Packaged inside shiny clear plastic and labeled as "satin nickel", I assumed they would go with the finish of my curtain rod and light fixture. That was two years ago. I work as a seamstress, making curtains for customers at a fabric shop, so my own curtains have gotten put on the back burner for a while. Now that I finally got around to opening the package, the grommets themselves are too shiny. Your spray-painted version looks exactly right, so I'll just have to pick up some Krylon Fusion paint and give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very Great post it helps me a lot, I'm very impressed; Your idea is outstanding, the issue is something that not enough people are speaking intelligently about. I am pleased that I found this in my search for something relating to this.

    Brand Development Company | Travel Portal Development | Software Development Solutions | Web Design Company in India | Mobile App Development Company

    ReplyDelete
  22. Grommet curtains

    Buy Custom Made Window Curtains and Drapes Online for your Bedroom and Home at Affordable Prices. Shipping is Free!

    https://www.spiffyspools.com/collections/curtains

    ReplyDelete
  23. Grommet curtains

    to get more - https://www.spiffyspools.com/


    Buy extra long curtains. Order extra wide drapes. Any size custom curtains, drapes, shades and window panels online at SpiffySpools.com.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great blog. All posts have something to learn. Your work is very good and i appreciate you and hopping for some more informative posts. Grommet Curtains

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your Affiliate Profit Machine is ready -

    And making money online using it is as simple as 1, 2, 3!

    This is how it works...

    STEP 1. Choose affiliate products you want to promote
    STEP 2. Add some PUSH BUTTON TRAFFIC (this ONLY takes 2 minutes)
    STEP 3. See how the affiliate products system grow your list and sell your affiliate products on it's own!

    So, do you want to start making profits???

    Click here to check it out

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails