Friday, July 30, 2010

The Secret to Perfect Cookies

After years of making MANY cookies--I think that I have come up with the secret to making perfect cookies.  Oh sure, every recipe is different--and you may like some more than others--but each recipe can be its best by following this cardinal cookie making rule:

DON"T BAKE THEM TOO LONG.

Ok--so that may sound really simple.  Duh Sharon--of course you shouldn't burn them.  But what I am saying is that baking the perfect cookie goes beyond not just BURNING them.

I FIRMLY BELIEVE that the perfect cookie must look underdone when it comes out of the oven.  I spent years of baking cookies until they looked nicely golden on top--and they were delicious right out of the oven.  But give them 15 mins to cool and they turned a little too crispy, a little too chewy for my liking.  It wasn't until I experimented and started taking them out of the oven when they didn't look quite done to me--that I found PERFECTION.

So with no further ado--I present MY favorite cookie recipe.  I got it from a friend 13 years ago and its STILL my favorite.  (Who knows--it may be the one off the back of the chocolate chip package for all I know.  All I know it is HEAVEN!)

THE PERFECT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE
1 c shortening (I REALLY like using shortening in my cookies--not butter or margarine)
3/4 c brown sugar
3/4 white sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs

Mix above ingredients in mixer then add:

2 1/2 c flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda

Mix and then add:

1/2 package of semi sweet choc chips (or if you like them REALLY chocolatey like me--you add 3/4 bag)

Drop by spoonfuls onto cookie sheet.  Bake at 375 for 8-10 mins depending on your oven.  JUST REMEMBER TO TAKE THEM OUT WHEN THEY LOOK RIGHT!  (I will show you a picture below).

SO LETS MAKE SOME COOKIES:
(I had a little help with this batch!)


 As I said--I like to use shortening--but it can be SO messy.  So this is one of my MUST HAVES for cookie making:

The Pampered Chef Wet/Dry Measurer thingy (LOVE IT): 

Here is the batter all made up so you can see the consistency (and yes, I use a kitchen aid mixer--LOVE that thing too!):


I also use a cookie scooper thing to get PERFECT shaped cookies so they look like this:

And I LOVE my baking mats.  I happen to have SILPAT--but the cheaper ones work awesome too.

OK--NOW THE MOMENT YOU HAVE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR--THIS IS WHAT THEY SHOULD LOOK LIKE WHEN YOU TAKE THEM FROM THE OVEN:
 
See how they are still pale looking and puffy?  If you were to touch them they would still be squishy.  This is JUST RIGHT.

You put them on a cooling rack and let them cool a little and they turn into these:

 Soft, moist, yummy, delicious, PERFECT cookies.

I also LOVE to put some on a tray and pop them in the freezer: 

Then I stick them in a freezer bag so that we can make fresh baked cookies ANYTIME.


Oh yah--and the dough tastes pretty good too.



Cookies are Yummy!

3 comments:

  1. I have a recipe that is very similar, however it adds instant vanilla pudding to the mix! It is SOOOOO yummy, and it tends to keep the cookies a little bit softer which i love as I don't like crunchy/hard cookies either. I use my Pampered Chef baking stone and take my cookies out a little early also. Your's look delish! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily just printed this out and added it to her cookbook, and she's making them right now!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so good, I would love to eat one for breakfast this morning. I will make these soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails